We encourage you not to judge a book by its cover – books still have value in new condition.
New books can sell for crazy prices. There is no rhyme or reason but we have seen a copy of a book in new condition sell for $145 while the same book in very good condition sells for 3.99
- Books MUST appear in NEW condition. Damaged books do us no good. See damage examples below
- Books MUST be wholesome. We are unashamedly Christian. If you wouldn’t tell your pastor about a book you’re reading, don’t send it to us.
What does NEW mean?
- No visible damage to cover or pages.
- No lose spines.
- remainder marks are ok (usually a dot or swipe with a marker on the edge of the pages at the bottom or top of the book. A remainder is just a publisher overstock which they physically mark so they can count it in a separate accounting method.)
- Books should contain all parts (ie if a cd/dvd/promotion is included it should be intact and unused – CDs/DVDs must be sealed in plastic)
- No dog-eared pages
- No excessive yellowing or fading of pages
- No stains anywhere on the book
- No loose or missing pages
- No writing or highlighting
- No stickers inside or out (price tags and factory stickers are are ok)
- Permanent Marker – if a glossy hardcover book has permanent marker on the outside of the cover, put some hand sanitizer on a napkin and rub it off the book. If it cleans where you can’t tell it was there, we’ll take it.
- no names inside (usually… if that’s the only thing wrong with the book, we’ll take it)
- no mold or mildew
- workbooks are ok as long as they are not filled out with writing.
- books which have dust jackets should contain the dust jacket in new condition.
- Paperback books have no spine creases
Books which are over-sized (like an Atlas or coffee table book) are cost prohibitive to ship and should not be donated. However, if you have them, use our contact form and send us the isbn (inside of cover on the copyright page) or the EAN (the 978-) barcode number below the barcode on the back of the book and we will let you know for sure.
Other Book Sizes
There is a sweet spot for shipping books. Our sweet spot are books which are what we call 961 books – 9 inches high, 6 inches wide, 1 inch thick. This is just a rule of thumb but books of this size are relatively cheap to ship and we can actually make money for our beneficiaries on shipping fees.
Books that Don’t sell Well
- South beach or Atkins diet books
- Chicken Soup series
- Billy Graham (except latest releases)
- Travel books except for those with publication dates in the last 2 years
- Guideposts titles
- Any book you would consider to be unwholesome
- Promotional inserts/books (Dolly Parton books sell VERY WELL)
- Newspaper inserts
- Computer/Programming books with missing CDs/DVDs or publication dates older than 3 years ago.
- Instruction manuals and inserts
- Scholastic books less than 50 pages
- Technical/Computerbooks which are out-dated (greater than three years post publication).
Books that Sell Very Well
- Books on the Amazon Best Seller list (updates hourly – remember any book which is wholesome is acceptable)
- Technical / Computer books – recently published with unsealed CDs/DVDs
- “Dummies” books
- Reference books
- Children books
- Home design/plan and improvement
- Christian / Inspirational / spiritual
- Diet and exercise
- Self Help
- Just get books in new condition and let us make the call.
The system works when the guidelines are followed. Help us grow. Your donated books are humbly appreciated.